Monday, October 1, 2012

The Professional and the Blogosphere

Are blogs a public space?
In today's society, yes.
That being said, there are obviously many different types of blogs and their content determines how much they contribute to the public.

Blogging has allowed for people to share their opinions in a way that classical journalism cannot cover.
Journalists cover specific topics, cover the story, give just the facts, and then move on.
Bloggers can delve into a topic that they find interesting and devote an entire blog to that content.

The question of whether blogging should be considered a "public space" relies heavily on information literacy and the ability of readers to verify, understand and debunk what they read.

Information literacy can be defined here.

Now that you're information literate: 

The accessibility of blogs makes them appealing to a large audience while their specificity allows for even the most eclectic of tastes to find a niche in the "blogosphere"

The world of "blogosphere" creates open audience interaction in a universe driven by specific topics.
Blogs are the new mode of journalism. While people still read newspapers and magazines, blogs are just more accessible for today's generation.
Other modes of writing present and idea and readers are left to discuss it among themselves.
Blogs have allowed for the reader to be an active part of the reading process.

In Andrew O'Baoill's article "Into the Blogosphere" he highlights an important aspect of the multifaceted perspectives of bloggers. 

People searching for viewpoints on a topic of their choice will have the opportunity to see every group's position on that topic, not just the views of the major groups. In effect, the nets have become a sort of virtual village green, on which any idea can be discussed and addressed on its merits. (Rash, 1997, p. 100)

One of the drawbacks to blogging, according to O'Baoill , concerns the emergence of "professional bloggers." If someone can be considered a professional and someone else is just a blogger, who is more credible?

A major concern of deconstructing this question relies on the writer’s knowledge. Another concern questions the difference between a blogger and simply a new form of multimedia for journalists.

The biggest contributor to the discussion of "blogospheres" as public space is, of course, directed by money.
If a blog is backed by major monetary contributors is it more professional? My next question is: what is considered professional?

Does getting paid to do something make you a professional? If so, then I'm a professional Barista at Starbucks, I’m a professional tutor, and a Professional secretary for the University of Montevallo.
This concept is ridiculous. Sometimes, jobs are simply jobs, and sometimes a blog is just a blog.
If someone is posting 1000 pictures on a blog about their love for cats, I don’t consider them a cat expert.
I love cats to death, but I most certainly don’t consider myself a cat medical expert or even a major source of knowledge. I’m an avid cat fancy reader and know some basic cat owner advice for hairballs, but if something is legitimately wrong with your cat, I hope you don’t consult a cat lover blog, and that instead you call the vet.
I think this concept is that today’s generation is lazy and instead of actively associating with real life people, they cling to the internet a virtual pool of information. The internet is great, but experiencing real life is the true expression of knowledge.
I think that’s the biggest problem with the older generations’ frustration toward blogs and the internet: they don’t understand the technology  because it is a passive way to contribute information.  

Is professional something that requires levels of management and outside control?

I'm not getting paid to write a blog, therefore my work is not considered equal to MSNBC's professional bloggers even though I'm about to graduate college with a bachelor’s degree?

Money is a major factor in what can be considered professional. I think blogs are a new facility in multimedia that will create another development in modern journalism.  The blog is no more outrageous than the invention of television or radio. People are always going to be frightened by the emergence of new technology when it is applied to society.







No comments:

Post a Comment