Sunday, September 23, 2012

Charlie Sheen and Intellectual Property



When I think about the term Intellectual Property, a "Violent Torpedo of Truth" illumines one central figure in my mind:  Charlie Sheen.
A little research on Google including the terms: Charlie Sheen and Intellectual Property will surely bing you a couple hours of entertainment.
According to an article from the Washington College of Law: Intellectual Property Brief, a general list of ridiculous trademarks was compiled:

A general list of trademarks that Sheen’s company has applied for. Well, here it is, and here’s how I found it[i]:
  1. VIOLENT TORPEDO OF TRUTH
  2. CHARLIE SHEEN
  3. SURPRISE. THAT’S WHAT WINNERS DO
  4. PARK YOUR NONSENSE
  5. YOU’VE BEEN WARNED
  6. I AM NOT BI-POLAR, I AM BI-WINNING
  7. DEFEAT IS NOT AN OPTION
  8. LIVING THE SHEEN DREAM
  9. GODDESS SUITE
  10. WARLOCK LOUNGE
  11. ADONIS DNA
  12. TORPEDO OF TRUTH
  13. SHEEN’S GODDESSES
  14. S¢K
  15. WINNING
  16. SOBER VALLEY LODGE
  17. VATICAN ASSASSIN
  18. TIGER WATER
  19. ROCK STAR FROM MARS
  20. DUH, WINNING
  21. TIGER BLOOD
  22. TIGER PLASMA
  23. SHEEN’S KORNER
Eric Perrott, the author of this article describes how Charlie Sheen's company legitimized their trademarks:
When Sheen’s company applied for these trademarks, they blanketed the “goods and services” section with a wide variety of possible uses, including “NON-MEDICATED HAIR, SKIN AND NAIL PREPARATIONS,” “PUBLICATIONS . . . FEATURING SPORTS,” and “LINENS AND BEDDING.” Don’t get too concerned about seeing “Vatican Assassin” bed sheets in the near future – if the trademarks are approved, the exact uses will be determined later by Sheen’s group, and only the goods and services where he uses the trademark in commerce will actually be protected.
 
 Charlie Sheen is obviously an extreme example of Intellectual Property. Most things that are under the question of "intellectual property" are actually legitimate ideas that need patents so people don't steal ideas and become millionares off of poor Bobby Joe's amazing idea. I understand the necessity of the Intellectual property age, but I think this Charlie Sheen stunt definately highlighted that our age has gone a little overboard in determining who "owns" this or that. If Sheen can coin a term as vague and reoccuring as "Winning", who owns other words? I'm particularly fond of cats, so can I own the rights to all things " cat " ?  YOU'VE BEEN WARNED, I'm about to present to you a TORPEDO OF TRUTH:   In today's world, people can own language and symbols.

My biggest question is where this ownership ends. For example, if I owned all things cat, do I own your cat? Do I own partial profits to people making cat toys? Should people be paying me money to have, talk, or make things cat related?
If Charlie Sheen owns the word "winning", when a football team wins, does he get some sort of trophy, too?

Also, I can't really blame the man, he was constantly in the press with people being so obsessed about what and who he was doing. If people were going to be so fully involved in his buisness, can't he decide what about him he owns, whether it be his catch phrases or the way he lives his life?

This being said, I'm certainly not siding with Sheen and saying that he should be able to own language, I'm just saying I don't protest his actions that, no doubt, stemmed from all the crap he was getting.

The right to claim ownership in language is the conquest of a new world. Instead of countries setting out to place governments in a place, countries are sending governments to claim langauge and the manipulation of language.

 Sheen's a little bit of genious, if you ask me, becasue I feel like he realizes the ridiculous nature of trademarking phrases, words, etc, but he has the money to do it, and people are stupid enough to have a process to allow it to happen!


Have you ever considered the idiot who established a process to go through to make it possible to get the rights to something like a word or phrase? Some group of lawyers were sitting around thinking, "Someday someone is going to try to own words, let's have a process so that we can deal with this."
And realistically, they were geniouses too, because right now intellectual property is a big deal. I guess it's because we have the leisure time to think about these kinds of affairs. I suppose it's just the advancement of times, like centuries ago when people didn't really spend that much time debating "What is life?" because they were too busy trying to survive.
In the age of technology, we're no longer just trying to survive, but rather we are claiming land and giving it new names because we have nothing better to do.
So now it matters if that check mark on a brand of clothing MEANS something or if it's a design.

Intellectual property seems to boil down to one thing, what can be owned?
The question of who can own is answered easily: anyone with enough money. Therefore, Sheen is laughing all the way to the bank. SURP.RISE. THAT'S WHAT WINNERS DO.



No comments:

Post a Comment